DESCRIPTION

Through the Paleo diet/lifestyle and the Whole30 my family, friends and I are becoming healthier! We are getting to our healthy weights, moving more, sleeping better and have better energy. We are suffering fewer mild medical issues and are just overall feeling better every day!

I spend a lot of time in the kitchen these days. We cook and enjoy a lot of great food that's both tasty and healthy. I hope you'll find some recipes here that you'll enjoy!


Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Updates

I have a ton of stuff to share! 

First of all, while on a quest for groceries this weekend, my friend and I decided to see what kind of coconut milk was at our local Wal-Mart.  Boy were we surprised when we found this brand (ingredients:coconut milk, water) for only $1.48!!!  That's about half of what we normally pay at the grocery store!

This is what it looks like after being in the fridge:
Can you say "creamy"?!  It's much thicker than the other brands I've been using (that have guar gum or xantham gum in them).  It tastes a little sweeter too.  This weekend, I'm going to buy all that Wal-mart has on it's shelf and stock up! 








I made spaghetti squash with meatballs for dinner Saturday night.  I was hesitant to make this meal because I didn't want to try to replicate actual spaghetti.  But, I was pleasantly surprised at how GOOD it was!  Husband LOVED the meatballs.  He was eating them plain.  The recipe made about 40 meatballs and they were all gone in 24 hours!  Here are the recipes for the sauce & meatballs.  The squash recipe can be found here.





Marinara Sauce (from Paleo Recipe Book page 317)
8 Plumb Tomatoes, cut into quarters (I just used whatever I could get at the Farmer's Market)
1/2 Onion, sliced thinly
4 cloves of garlic, whole
1 celery stalk, chopped (I left this out this time because I didn't have any)
Handful of each: fresh thyme, rosemary & sage (I used dried)
6T cooking fat (I used coconut oil)
Sea Salt & Black Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 200F.  Place all vegetables in baking dish and pour 3T of the melted cooking fat and mix well to combine.  Roast the vegetables for about 5 hours in the preheated oven, until they are really caramelized.  Place the vegetables in a blender and process to a smooth sauce.  Add the rest of the cooking fat, season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and process again.

I doubled this recipe (used 2 baking dishes) and put 1-1/2 jars of it in the freezer for another time.

Fresh Herb Meatballs (from Paleo Recipe Book page 28)
1lb ground beef
1lb ground pork (I used medium pork sausage from the farmer's market)
1/2 onion, minced
1/2C fresh basil, finely minced (I used dried)
1C spinach, finely minced (I have a mini food processor/chopper that I used for this.  It wasn't very "finely" minced)
4 eggs
1/2C almond meal
1T dried oregano
4 cloves of garlic, minced
Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350F.  Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well with your hands.  Season the mixture to taste with s&p.  Make small balls the size of a golf ball (I used my cookie baller, it made about 40) and place them apart on a baking sheet.  Bake for about 25 mins until well cooked.

This is just a pretty breakfast that I had on Sunday.
Scrambled eggs topped with Frog Ranch Salsa, Watermelon & Cucumber Salad, & Meatballs!

...and this was dinner last night!  A grilled hamburger topped with
onion, tomato and homemade paleo mayo with canned beets on the side.


No comments:

Post a Comment