DESCRIPTION

Through the Paleo diet/lifestyle and the Whole30 my family, friends and I are becoming healthier! We are getting to our healthy weights, moving more, sleeping better and have better energy. We are suffering fewer mild medical issues and are just overall feeling better every day!

I spend a lot of time in the kitchen these days. We cook and enjoy a lot of great food that's both tasty and healthy. I hope you'll find some recipes here that you'll enjoy!


Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Crock Pot Cabbage Rolls - UPDATED!



I made this recipe from Paleo Recipe Book.  I've never made traditional cabbage rolls before, but I have eaten them.   From what I can tell, the recipe is similar to other traditional recipes with the only major difference being the substitution of grated cauliflower in place of rice.  This recipe is a winner!  I really enjoy these for leftovers, so they are great recipe to cook up on Sunday and use for lunches Monday-Wednesday!



Ingredients
12 Large Cabbage Leaves (I just use as many as I can get from a head of cabbage and save the remaining cabbage for soup!)
1 egg
1/4 cup Chicken or Beef Stock
1/4 cup Chopped Onion
1lb Ground Beef (grass-fed if possible)
1 cup Cauliflower, grated
2 cans Tomato Sauce (the original recipe calls for one 8oz can, but this is not near enough!
2 tbsp Lemon Juice (original recipe calls for 1tbsp, but with the extra tomato sauce, I add extra lemon juice)
                                                                                    Salt & Pepper

Directions
Get a large pot of water boiling.  While you're waiting for the water to boil, start carefully peeling your cabbage leaves off the head.  Once the water is boiling, drop your cabbage leaves in the boiling water for 2-3 minutes to blanch them.  Then immediately run them under cold water in a colander.  In a bowl, combine stock, onion, ground beef, cauliflower and egg.  Season the mixture with Salt & Pepper (I usually throw some garlic powder in there too!)  Count how many you cabbage leaves you have and then divide your meat mixture into that many servings.  Roll one serving of the mixture up into each cabbage leaf and place the rolls in the bottom of the crockpot.  I roll them like a burrito, folding the sides in.  Prepare the sauce by combining the tomato sauce and lemon juice together.  Pour the sauce over the cabbage rolls and season with salt & pepper.  Cook on low for 7-9 hours.



No comments:

Post a Comment