DESCRIPTION

Through the Paleo diet/lifestyle and the Whole30 my family, friends and I are becoming healthier! We are getting to our healthy weights, moving more, sleeping better and have better energy. We are suffering fewer mild medical issues and are just overall feeling better every day!

I spend a lot of time in the kitchen these days. We cook and enjoy a lot of great food that's both tasty and healthy. I hope you'll find some recipes here that you'll enjoy!


Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Jerky

I got a dehydrator for Christmas!!!  So.. the first thing I did with it was make some jerky!  I had some ground deer meat in the freezer from a friend.  I used this recipe for inspiration.  Here's what I used for my recipe:

Having a beverage of choice in the kitchen is imperative to
good cooking ;)
1-1/2 lbs of Ground Meat (I used deer)
1 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp White Pepper
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.  Then put the meat on a sheet of wax paper.  Cover with another sheet of wax paper and using your rolling pin to flatten it to 1/8"-1/4" thickness.

Use paper towel to line the dehydrator trays (I removed mine about half-way through the cooking time) to catch any fat drippings from the meat.  My dehydrator doesn't have a temperature setting, so I just turned it on and let it go.  I checked the meat after about 3-4 hours and removed the paper towel.  It took my jerky about 7 hours to finish.  

I wish I would have taken pictures of the finished product, but I totally forgot to!  It was really good and the consistency was very much like the processed stuff we're used to.


No comments:

Post a Comment